Sunday, May 22, 2011

Getting Started...

Today, I used a coupon for the first time...and then I used eight more. It probably goes without saying that I needed to brag about my couponing trip on Twitter. In response, my dear friend AP challenged me to start a blog about it. Actually, Ashley just suggested I blog about it, but I channeled my inner Barney Stinson and said "CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!"

I should start by saying that I am not a blogger. Given how much time I spend on my computer and how much I like to hear myself talk, it's kind of surprising that I'm not a blogger, but I'm not. However, I'm going to give this a solid try. One, because I'm kind of funny (sort of...sometimes...a little), so you guys might enjoy my blog. Secondly, I really do want to stick to this couponing thing, so maybe if I blog about it, then y'all can hold me accountable. Lastly, even though I'm going to often tell you how NOT to do this couponing thing (and, let's be honest, probably some other things too), maybe someone will learn something...and I LOVE learning! :)

Let me begin by telling you why I decided to start using coupons. I really like to shop, for just about anything. This includes groceries. One, because any shopping is fun, but, two, I feel like a grown up when I grocery shop...and although I don't really like getting older, I do enjoy feeling like a grown up. So, even though I'm not much of a cook, I enjoy making trips to the grocery store. Sure, I have to call my mom and ask her how to tell if veggies and fruit are good, and sure a lot of what I buy doesn't get used because I have novel ideas of cooking and then I don't. But, still, I enjoy the grocery store.

However, I really don't like spending money at the grocery store. It seems like (okay, doesn't just seem like; it's true) food prices have skyrocketed lately. I expect that I'm going to have trouble getting out of Target spending less than $100, but I don't expect that same problem when I go to Harris Teeter. However, I feel like whenever I go to stock up on groceries, I'm spending at least $80 bucks and if I go just to get stuff for one meal, I'm going to spend more than $25. At that rate, I might as well go out to eat. It's just as economical and way easier. So, that's what I've been doing. Eating out. ALL THE TIME. In fact, I moved to my new place on March 25th and I just went to the grocery store for the first time last week. FAIL!

Now, I'm fairly responsible. In fact, some might even call me boring. Now, I'd think those people are wrong but if they called me a geek, they'd be spot on. I'm a total geek. So, it probably goes without saying that I'm usually responsible, but let me explain anyway. I don't cuss. In fact, I've never said a bad word in my life. I don't drink. I decided to give up alcohol for 2011, just for the heck of it. I've never done drugs, I don't have casual sex, I went to law school, I check my credit score every week. I'm responsible.

Well, I'm responsible most of the time. I'm not super responsible when it comes to money. Granted, I'm probably not as bad as some people, but I'm not as good as I should be. Meaning, I don't bounce checks, I don't (usually) live too far beyond my means, but I definitely spend a lot and save a little. I want to change that. But, it's not easy. I'm a bit of a fashionista (not quite as much of one as I would be if I was a size 2 instead of a size...not 2, but still, I love clothes...and shoes...and purses!), I'm addicted to books, I love buying presents for people, I buy way too many songs on iTunes, I like to take trips...ie - I spend quite a bit of money.

At the same time, I have my first job out of school. Well, okay, my second job out of school. But my first one paid me a salary that is now forcing me to be paying off my first job out of school while working my second job out of school. This "first job out of school" is in racing, and for those of you that don't but want to work in sports, let me tell you, you take a pay cut to work in a field you're passionate about. In my case, the pay cut is worth it. I love what I do.

However, when you take into account that I'm paying off a law degree and an undergraduate education, I live in a cute little townhouse in a to-die-for area (with a roommate - remember, I'm fairly responsible), I have some credit card debt from the year at my not-going-to-count-it first job out of school, I just paid a ridiculous amount of money to the IRS for 2010 taxes, etc...the salary from my job I love so much doesn't go very far.

So, that's the situation I was in when I first saw the show Extreme Couponing. It took all of half an episode for me to get addicted and start talking to my friends about it! Turns out, a TON of them were using coupons already and not just the ones with kids like I expected. Now, okay, anyone that has seen the show probably can agree with me that it's not super realistic. I know, it's not. However, there IS money to be saved when you use coupons. So, I'm going to start couponing. My hope is that using coupons and saving money at the grocery store will eventually bleed over into other areas of my life, and I'll think twice before buying that super cute dress at Target or those shoes at the mall. Then, maybe I'll be able to afford that new (to me, not brand new; again, I'm not as responsible with money as I want to be, but I'm not irresponsible) car I want/almost need, but still just want at this point. Or I'll be able to afford to go visit my family more often. Or, I'll actually start saving money instead of just spending. Or, maybe not. But it's worth a try, right? :)

Now, this post has already gotten WAY longer than I intended, so I guess you guys will have to wait for the next post to hear about my first couponing trip.

Xoxo!
Miss Jess

1 comment:

  1. Jess u crack me up...but u do have a point!...Sunday paper here I come

    ReplyDelete